Today is Krishna’s birthday so it’s called Happy Krishna Janmashtami, Ashtami Tithi.
Whether Happy Krishna Janmashtami is on August 18 or 19, here’s what you need to know about the history behind the Hindu festival, its significance in India, and the celebration.
The Hindu festival of Krishna Janmashtami, also known as Krishna Janmashtami, Gokulashtami, Krishnashtami or Sri Jayanti, marks the birth of Krishna, the eighth incarnation of Lord Vishnu. The biggest celebrations of this festival take place in the cities of Mathura and Vrindavan, where Krishna is believed to have been born and spent his formative years respectively.
Happy Krishna Janmashtami Date and Time:
Happy Krishna Janmashtami is celebrated in India on the eighth day of the dark fortnight of the month of Bhadrapada (July-August). This year, there is a lot of confusion about whether Krishna Janmashtami will be celebrated on Thursday, September 7, 2023
As per Vedic Panchang, Ashtami Tithi will start at 9:21 pm on Thursday, September 7, 2023, and end at 10:59 pm on August 19, 2023, so it will be celebrated on both days while Nishith Puja time will start from 12:02 pm. 18 August and will end at 12:48 PM on the same day.
History and Significance:
According to Hindu mythology, Krishna, the human incarnation of Vishnu, was born on this day to destroy the demon king Kamsa of Mathura, the brother of Krishna’s virtuous mother Devaki. Krishna was born in Mathura on the eighth (Ashtami) day of the dark fortnight of Bhadrapada month (August-September) and was the son of Devaki and Vasudeva.
At the time of Krishna’s birth, Mathura was ruled by his uncle King Kamsa, who wanted to kill his sister’s children as a prophecy that the couple’s eighth son would bring down Kamsa. After the prophecy, Kansa captured Devaki and Vasudeva and killed their first six children.
However, during the birth of their seventh child, Balarama, the embryo is mysteriously transferred from Devaki’s womb to Princess Rohini. When their eighth child, Krishna, was born, the entire palace fell asleep and Vasudeva rescued the child at the home of Nanda Baba and Yashoda in Vrindavan.
After the exchange, Vasudeva returned to the palace with a baby girl and handed her over to Kamsa. When the evil king tries to kill the child, she transforms into Durga, warning him of his impending doom, and thus, Krishna grows up in Vrindavan and later kills his uncle Kamsa.
Devotees mark this auspicious occasion by observing a fast and praying to Krisna. They decorate their houses with flowers, diyas and lights while temples are also beautifully decorated and illuminated.
The temples of Mathura and Vrindavan witness the most extravagant and colorful celebrations as Krishna is believed to have been born and spent his formative years there. Devotees perform raslilas to relive events from Krisna’s life and to remember his love for Radha, and since Krishna was born at midnight, an infant Krisna idol is bathed and placed in a cradle. Happy Krishna Janmashtami.
Maharashtra also sees joyous celebrations of the festival as people enact Krishna’s childhood attempts to steal butter and curd from clay pots. This activity is called Dahi Handi celebration for which a matka or pot is suspended above the ground and people form a human pyramid to reach it and finally break it.
Here are some wishes, messages, quotes, images, Facebook & Whatsapp status to share with your friends and family on the occasion of Janmashtami 2022.
1. May Krishna ji always bless you with happiness, love, and peace. Happy Janmashtami to you and your family!
2. Leave all your worries to Lord Krisna on this day and he will take care of you. Happy Janmashtami!
Images credit: freepik
Certainly, here are some emotional Happy Krishna Janmashtami wishes and messages in English for 2023:
1. On this sacred day of Happy Krishna Janmashtami, may the divine presence of Lord Krishna fill your heart with love, joy, and solace. Let His grace guide you through every challenge, and His teachings inspire you to live a life of purpose and compassion.
2. As the auspicious occasion of Krishna Janmashtami dawns upon us, may you feel the gentle embrace of Krishna’s love, bringing comfort to your soul and healing to your spirit. May His divine melody resonate within you, creating a symphony of peace and serenity.
3. On this Happy Krishna Janmashtami, let the essence of Lord Krishna’s teachings touch the depths of your emotions. Just as Krishna illuminated the world with his divine presence, may your life shine with the light of wisdom, kindness, and self-discovery.
4. As we celebrate the birth of Lord Krishna, let us also celebrate the birth of hope, resilience, and faith within our hearts. May His eternal love remind us that even in the midst of challenges, we can find solace in the embrace of His divine grace.
5. The story of Krishna’s birth reminds us of the power of love, sacrifice, and unwavering devotion. May your life be a testament to these virtues, and may you find strength in Krishna’s example to overcome obstacles and strive for a higher purpose.
6. Just as Krishna’s flute captivated the hearts of all who heard it, may the melody of his divine presence resonate within you, filling the voids with love and healing. On this Happy Krishna Janmashtami, let your heart be the canvas on which Krishna paints his blessings.
7. Happy Krishna Janmashtami is not just a celebration; it’s a reminder of the boundless love and grace that the universe offers us. May you embrace this love, cherish it, and let it flow through you to touch the lives of those around you.
8. In the enchanting aura of Krishna Janmashtami, let your heart be the temple where Krishna resides, blessing you with peace and courage. May you find solace in His teachings and find the strength to navigate life’s journey with grace.
9. As we honor the birth of Lord Krishna, let us also honor the birth of deeper understanding and empathy in our lives. May His divine wisdom guide you to see the beauty in every moment and the divinity in every being.
10. On this Happy Krishna Janmashtami, let your tears of devotion cleanse your soul, and let your heart be a vessel that holds the nectar of Krishna’s love. May you experience the bliss of his presence in the midst of life’s triumphs and tribulations.
May the blessings of Lord Krishna’s love and wisdom fill your heart on this Krishna Janmashtami and throughout the year. Wishing you a soulful and joyful celebration! 🙏🌸 #KrishnaJanmashtami2023